Welcome to Aesthetic Solutions! The primary goals of this blog are to discuss technological solutions that can better peoples' lives as well as the aesthetics that artists use to address a problem.

Sunday, December 21, 2014

A Diary Entry by Ruth

Dear Diary,
I'm so glad we moved into our new house!  There were so many problems with that old "rat trap" (44) of a house.  For one, we've put in "enough rent ... to pay for four houses by now" (44).  Also, I couldn't stand those "cracking walls" (93) and the armies of cockroaches "marching ... like Napoleon" (55).  But besides the house's problems, there were many disputes among the family there, mainly revolving around Mama's check of ten thousand dollars.  Bennie, Travis, and I knew "that ain't none of our money" (34), but Walter wouldn't understand.  Walter strongly believed that, with his partners Bobo and Willy Harris, he could invest into a "little liquor store" (33) and obtain money for the family.  I realize and appreciate that he just wanted to provide a better life for his family, especially for Travis - Walter felt ashamed that his own son "sleeps in the living room" (34) and all Walter "got to give him is stories about how rich white people live" (34) - but there is bound to be trouble when working with Willy Harris, who is a dishonest, "good-for-nothing loudmouth" (32), and I think Walter learned his lesson about working with people like him.  Despite losing all of the money that Mama entrusted him, I am so glad that, when faced with the Clybourne Park Improvement Association, he decided for us to still "move into our house" (148), affirming that his father "earned it for us brick by brick" (148).  Mama and the rest of our family is proud of Walter, and Mama and I decided that he had "finally come into his manhood ... like a rainbow after the rain" (151). 
Walter had "finally come into his manhood ... like a rainbow after the rain" (151). 
I'll write to you later, Diary.  Mama is calling me.  I think she is going to start planting her garden today. 
                                                             Love,
                                                                 Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment